We’ve been following all the latest honeymoon trends, and Cherry Picked Honeymoons has selected its top 10 favourite honeymoon destinations for 2019. So get planning, and get yourself to one of these fabulous locations for your once in a lifetime holiday!
1. Maldives. It’s been our favourite for the past couple of years, and its popularity with Australian honeymooners is showing no sign of slowing down. The crystal clear waters, impeccable service, dreamy vistas, romantic sunsets and delectable food make this the top honeymoon destination for 2019.
2. Sri Lanka. Just named the top destination in the world for 2019 by Lonely Planet, we’ve seen increasing numbers of honeymooners choosing this incredible country. The experience is diverse and luxurious. Stay in a tea plantation, or a beachside villa. Visit UNESCO World Heritage sites, pristine beaches or head out on a game safari. There’s so much to enjoy in this country, and once you’ve arrived, it’s incredibly inexpensive.
3. New Zealand. Perhaps not first on every newly engaged couple’s honeymoon list – but consider this. There’s a diverse range of accommodation options, many of which are gorgeous luxury lodges offering stunning views and romantic rooms. The sightseeing is unbelievable, and you can indulge in some adventure sports as well. There’s so much to do in New Zealand, the challenge is to narrow it down to fit into one holiday!
4. Croatia. The home of Game of Thrones, this European delight is best experienced with a combination of land and sea. Take a short cruise along the Dalmatian Coast, then explore the major cities of Dubrovnik, Split and visit the mind-blowing Plitvice Lakes. There are cruise ships of all sizes, and demographics, so if you don’t fancy being stuck on a ship with a bunch of older citizens, don’t worry, there are plenty of options for younger souls.
5. Indonesia. Yes, everyone knows about Bali, and many of you have been there. And it’s still a hotspot for a good value, luxury honeymoon. But many other areas of Indonesia are emerging as tourist meccas, particularly with younger travellers. There’s some fabulous new eco-resorts in Sumatra, offering unique experiences to meet orang-utans. Lombok and the Gili Islands are also gaining popularity and are great for surfers.
6. Italy. One of the must visit places in the world, Italy draws you in with its culture, food and heritage. Honeymooners can glide down the Grand Canal being serenaded in a gondola, watch the sun set on the Cinque Terre, or spend the afternoon sipping limoncello by the seaside. Don’t forget the winery regions – the perfect romantic day is driving around the areas of Tuscany or Lombardy, sampling the local produce.
7. Maui, Hawaii. Of all the islands in Hawaii, Maui is probably the most romantic and best suited to honeymooners. There’s a relaxed vibe here, and it doesn’t have the crazy tourist hordes you’ll find on the Big Island and in Waikiki. The sunsets are gorgeous, the dining fabulous, and there’s plenty of nature and adventure sports to explore. Visit the volcano crater, drive the winding road to Hana and stop to swim in waterfalls along the way.
8. Santorini, Greece. Once you’ve experienced the sunset on Santorini, you’ll know why we’ve recommended this gorgeous Grecian island. Spend your days visiting ancient ruins, enjoying the black and red sand beaches, spending a day at the wineries. And the accommodation on Santorini is some of the best in Greece. Get yourself a room with a balcony overlooking the blue and white buildings, onto the never-ending ocean.
9. Mauritius. So it’s not famous for overwater villas, but it really is a more budget-friendly alternative to the Maldives. There’s the aquamarine waters, sugar-white sand, Creole fusion cuisine and great watersports, particularly windsurfing. We love the options to explore outside the resort – from the coloured sands to walking with the lions. This really is a diverse and exciting honeymoon destination.
10. Iceland. Ok it’s a long way to travel. But Iceland is the hottest, or rather coolest of destinations right now. The stunning landscapes and Scandi designer digs add up to a holiday destination like no other. The capital Reykjavik is buzzing with hip bars, chic designer boutiques and a hot dining scene. Then head north to experience lava landscapes, spouting geysers and the dancing lights of the aurora. Best viewing for the northern lights is September to April, however April to October is perfect for whale watching.
See our latest honeymoon packages here.
Request a handcrafted honeymoon just for you here.